This week's question comes from Stephanie, who asked the following:
"I've heard of the term "congested skin".
What exactly does that mean and how can you decongest your skin?"
Congested skin, also referred to as clogged pores, happens when dirt, oil and dead skin cells get trapped in your pores. Often times, your skin’s surface begins to feel rough, and look dull and uneven.
One of the best ways to treat congested skin is to establish a consistent skincare regimen - which can do wonders for your skin!
Now, while each step in a regimen is considered equally important, enough cannot be said about the importance of exfoliation.
The process of removing the excess accumulation of dirt, oil and dead skin cells from the outer most layer of skin is referred to as superficial peeling or exfoliation – and it can be accomplished mechanically (microdermabrasion), manually (scrubs), or chemically (peels).
The many benefits of exfoliation include the following:
- Leaves skin feeling silky smooth!
- Facilitates the extraction of dirt/oil that clogs pores (helps prevent acne!).
- Faster cell turnover rate (keeps skin younger looking!).
- Reduces fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation issues.
- Improves elastin and collagen production.
- May help control conditions such as acne, hyperpigmentation and eczema.
- Improves the skin's ability to retain moisture (prevents dry skin!).
- Helps penetration/delivery of product ingredients into the skin.
- Stimulates blood flow.
- Smooth skin makes the application of makeup easier!
And the list goes on!
The good news is that skin congestion can be prevented with consistent care of your skin.
Submit your questions via Facebook
by tagging #AskKitiya #AskMischoBeauty
, or by email at Kitiya@MischoBeauty.com
We will post the Q&A every Wednesday and your question could be featured next!